The NEW Judges Competency Framework will be coming into effect as of January 2019.
Requirements of a Breed Show Judge
First time Challenge Certificate Judges-
The Kennel Club requires the following mandatory requirements to have been achieved prior to a person being nominated to award with Challenge Certificates for the very first time. These aspiring judges are required to:
- 7 years experience in their own breed.
- To have attended the Requirements of a Dog Show Judge seminar delivered by a Kennel Club Accredited Trainer, and passed the relevant examination on Kennel Club Regulations and Judging Procedures.The syllabus is based on the Show ‘F’ Regulations, the Kennel Club Code of Best Practice for Judges (including Guide for Judges and Ring Stewards and Code of Best Practice for the selection of Judges)and the Kennel Club Code of Conduct. Further pre-course learning including a film and a mock examination are available on the Kennel Club Academy, click here to subscribe.
- To have attended the Points of the Dog Assessment conducted by a Kennel Club Accredited Trainer and passed. The Guidelines for an Assessment Candidate are available for download here. You may also wish to undertake the ‘Drag and Drop’ exercise on the Kennel Club Academy today, to assist with per-course learning.
- To have attended a seminar delivered by a Kennel Club Accredited Trainer on Conformation and Movement. Subscribe to the Kennel Club Academyto undertake pre-learning and watch the Conformation and Movement series.
- Attend at least one Breed Specific Seminar run in accordance with the Kennel Club Code of Best Practice for the Running of a Breed Seminar and Judging Competence Assessmentand passed and examination and/or assessment where applicable. Please speak to your club or council about future dates. To have bred and/or owned a minimum of three dogs when they obtained their first entry in the Kennel Club Stud Book (save in exceptional circumstances)
- To have stewarded over a minimum of 12 days at shows (Open or Championship shows only).
- For Gundog Breed Council/Club/Societies only. To attend any Field Trial or an Open Gundog Test (GWT) for a Gundog Breed in the relevant subgroup.
To find out dates for future Kennel Club seminars please refer to the seminar diary here.
Breed clubs, societies and councils will also have their own criteria they expect judges to achieve if they are to be recommended to judge by that club or council, please contact them for more information